General Rally Rules
Rally Home | Maverick Region Rules |
Glossary | Results
Touring & Timed Classes
- Behavior: Drive safely, carefully, and legally. Behave
courteously and play fairly.
- Rally Roads: Use only paved roads designed for through passage
by the general public. Roads with gates, guardhouses, or posted access restrictions,
other than direction of travel, are not rally roads unless clearly specified in the
- Route Instructions: The route is revealed through step-by-step
instructions. Execute each instruction in turn, in the order presented, as soon as
A typical text instruction lists an action and a navigational reference
connected by a position notation, including:
- Left, Acute Left, Bear Left
- Right, Acute Right, Bear Right
- Pick Up, Straight, Cross
- On, Onto
- Navigational References
- Road identified by name or number
- Quoted text from sign
- STOP, YIELD, or other defined landmark
- 1st, 2nd, etc. Opportunity
Tulip diagrams may be used to provide a visual indication of the route-following
action to be taken at each reference point.
- Route Following: Follow the current road until you can execute
the next route instruction or until the pavement forces you onto another road. You
must have an instruction at a T unless the current road clearly follows one arm of
the T. If the current road becomes indistinguishable by signs, markings, size, or
surface, you must have an instruction.
- Quoted Signs: Material quoted in an instruction will be a
prominent, contiguous portion of the alphanumeric text shown on the same support
structure. Spelling will be exact. Signs may be located above or on either side
of the rally route and will be readable while travelling at the speed limit from
normal seating positions.
- Landmarks: All landmarks will be identified by a sign, defined,
or associated with a mileage.
- Proof of Passage: Fill-in-the-blank questions will be presented
in the order of encounter within the route instructions. Tie-Breaker questions, however,
may be anything the rallymaster devises and may be presented at a time and place of the
Timed Class Only:
- Distance: Mileage is continuous from rally start to end. The
official measurements will have been adjusted to closely approximate freeway mileage
marker calibration. Official mileage is given with each route instruction in the
first 15 miles and at every speed change thereafter.
- Speed: Initiate speed changes at the navigational reference
indicated in the instructions. Speed instructions (CASTs) are average speeds, which
are computed as instantaneous speed changes for scoring purposes.
- Pauses & Delays: Pause 15 seconds at every STOP and pause 45
seconds at every traffic light. Route instructions indicate the perfect elapsed
time to depart from each instruction's reference point in the first 10 to 15 miles.
A pause of about 5 minutes will be included at the end of this first 10-15 miles for
odometer calibration. Do not block access to signs & landmarks for other rally
Delays in 30-second increments will be automatically accepted within the range of 45
seconds to 3 minutes 15 seconds. Additional delay will require confirmation from another
competing team that the delay was unavoidable.
Your Mileage / Official Mileage = Adjustment Factor
Adjustment Factor X Official Mileage = Your Odometer Reading
Adj. Factor X CAST = Approx. Adjusted CAST
(May not be exact!)
MPH X 1.6 = KPH